Monday 20 April 2015

Hello Nani!

Many times I have been told that at the time of my birth, my parents were happy...very happy. Happy because like every young parent, they also wanted to grow with kid. They also wanted to do all things that no doubt, every parent dreams about. Teaching me how to walk step by step, how to pronounce papa n mamma.

But after I was actually born, things were little different for my mom n dad. Both were working parents. And the question raised was that how the child (me) would be brought up? Who would look after him? How would my mom manage the two tasks i.e. her job and nurturing her new born baby.

After all the considerations on these questions, ultimately the BIG project of mine went into the hand of my grandmother, my naani.

Though it was a painful decision for both my parents, I started living with my naani. As far as I know consciously and what I have been told by my parents is that initially I struggled to live without my mom n dad. After all blood is blood. I had really missed them so much that I had started burning with fever. But the person who looked after me was my naani, day or night she stayed with me always.

Months sped by and my condition got worsened so much that I could hardly stand on my own legs. But the lady always made sure that I was taken the best care. My state at home shook my mom and dad at Bangalore. Finally, the blood bond won over everything else and I was taken to Bangalore to stay with my parents.

Years later, we had moved to Mumbai. By this time I grew up and had started my academic. And this was the time when my younger brother had entered in my life. Two children and single source of income. How to plan my future and this newly entered guest's?  Again these thoughts resulted in the conclusion that my naani would come to Mumbai and look after me and my brother.

This time, though I stayed with my parents but I was close to my nani. Especially, those 8-10 hrs when mom and dad were in their jobs. The new bond got strengthened day by day. From making breakfast to dinner, she would do everything for us like a real mother. She would make sure that I complete my home assignments and go to tuition. In short, she offered us a perfect care.

When I attained a conscious state in my life, I was told by my parents that I was mature enough to take care of myself and my lil bro. So, the lady left us and went back to her own family.

After that she had definitely come to Mumbai many times as a guest to us but never ever stayed for a longer time.

Today it has been 8-10 years since she came to my house last time. From last 2-3 years she was not keeping well. And the situation got worst last year when she was bed-ridden due to paralysis.

Whenever I did call to ask about her well-being, she just wanted me to come to her such that she could see me for the last time. Everytime she asked me and everytime her patience and excitement got broken. The busy schedules of my in work never did allow taking even a two-day break.

I never knew that she would soon leave us for the peace in heaven.


Today, it has been more than 3-4 months and all I am left today with the regret of not meeting her, not seeing even a once. I just wish to speak to her, ask her where is she? How she is doing? And hope she is happy…

No comments:

Post a Comment